Sunday, August 30, 2009

Relay for Life a Success!

First of all, let me take a moment to thank all of you who have donated to support me in the Relay for Life benefiting the American Cancer Society. I had no idea how much I'd be able to raise and have been amazed at the generosity of friends, family members, and clients who have stepped up to the plate. I have exceeded expectations and reached several goals only to aim higher. It seems so many of us have been affected by this disease and so it really hits close to home.

For those of you who have yet to donate, you'll be happy to know that I can still accept donations through Monday August 31st, even thought the Relay is over. Please go to my personal page and donate whatever amount you are comfortable with. http://main.acsevents.org/goto/jenni_lmt

The Relay itself was a great experience! I recommend getting involved next year if you haven't done so. The event itself is a lot of fun. As a team you can choose to walk, run, or ride in the Relay. It's not a race, just take turns going out on the courses and enjoy the day. As Team Sugar, we chose to ride our mountain bikes on the course laid out for us in Round Valley near the Quinn's Junction recreational complex. The course wasn't too difficult, but we all got a good workout and had a lot of fun riding it. We each did about 2 or 3 laps of the course.

When we weren't out on the course, we enjoyed the live music, great food, and the events inside on the ice rink. We could mingle with other teams as well as each other and just enjoy being outside working together for a good cause. I set up my massage chair and did some 10 minute massages to benefit the American Cancer Society as well. After sunset, there was the Ceremony of Hope and the lighting of the luminaria which were all decorated by individuals who wished to honor the memory of someone who had succumbed to cancer or to celebrate those who have survived as well as support those still battling the disease. It was very moving to see the lighted bags along the walkway for us to wander past and acknowledge.

I am so happy to have been a part of this experience. I hope that my efforts will help in some small way all of those who have been diagnosed with cancer or will in the future. May our struggles honor those we've lost and give hope to those still here on the battle field.

1 comment:

Jack said...

You and your team have a lot to be proud of. As a reminder of the good that Relay does, I invite you to check out this video -- ahamoment.com/pg/moments/view/1848 -- about one woman’s “aha moment” when she realized the remarkable impact of Relay and the American Cancer Society and dedicated herself to doing all she could for the cause. I think you’ll enjoy it and hope you’ll also check out the rest of the site, which was created by Mutual of Omaha to highlight inspirational stories and “aha moments” of all kinds.

Best,
jack@ahamoment.com