Monday, January 19, 2009

The Amazing Body Worlds Exhibit

As a student of massage therapy, I had the opportunity to study the human body in great detail. With each discovery, I learned how unique and miraculous our bodies truly are. Each piece is a part of a symphony contributing to the beautiful harmony that is the living soul.

For many of us, the way our body functions is a mystery and with that mystery can lurk fear. I remember being afraid to go to my Anatomy class's cadaver lab because I knew I'd be seeing real human body parts and the idea was unnerving. Once I got there, I realized that my fears were largely unfounded and surrendered myself to the fascination that came with each new learning experience. Our bodies are these organic machines with so many layers and yet, we are simply animals in the end.

The Body Worlds exhibit takes the cadaver lab to a whole new level! They have transformed these donated bodies into complete works of art. I am so happy I had the chance to see it while it was here in Salt Lake City. I was able to walk around each display with wide eyes taking in a 360 degree view of muscles, bones, tendons, and organs. It was breathtaking!

The concept behind Body Worlds are the innovations of Gunther von Hagens who developed the process of plastination. He was able to preserve, dissect, and position the bodies for the purpose of education and appreciation. Each exhibit demonstrates different aspects, functions, and layers of the human body, all displayed with beauty and grace. Beyond the fully intact plastinates, there are countless glass cases showing various organs, some healthy, some diseased, some containing artificial additions depicting our modern technology at work. I was particularly impressed by the "smoker's lung," which was completely black. Appropriately there was a nearby station where smokers could dispose of their cigarettes and pledge to quit the habit right there on the spot. Also shown was a cross-section of an obese individual. You'd be surprised to know all the places where the body stashes extra fat. Great motivation to eat healthy and exercise.

The other exhibits that stood out to me were of the blood vessels. Plastic was injected into the arteries and then allowed to harden. After that all the rest of the matter was removed showing only the countless intricate vessels where the blood travels taking the fragile form of that particular living thing. This was done with organs, limbs, and even animals. It's hard to comprehend the sheer number of blood vessels present in any given specimen. Wow!

Since attending Body Worlds, I have found new perspective when working on the clients who come to see me for massage. I can better visualize the muscles I am addressing and I am constantly going back in my mind to the wonderful exposition of bodies frozen in motion depicting the exquisiteness of the human form. I am reminded of how much I love my work and the ability to help people to realize their potentials. I encourage people who have yet to see the Body Worlds exhibit to make it a point to go and see it. You too will be amazed!

BodyWorlds.com

No comments: